- What is MNP?
- What is Mobile Number Portability?
- What are the facts about Mobile Number Portability?
- What are the rules & regulations for Mobile Number Portability?
- How to go for Mobile Number Portability?
- How to port my Mobile Number?
- How to cancel Mobile Number Portability?
- Can I transfer my balance during Mobile Number Portability?
- Can I transfer my balance after Mobile Number Portability?
- During mobile number portability data balance will transfer or not?
- Can I port my number back using Mobile Number Portability?
Definition of Mobile Number Portability (MNP) :
Mobile number portability (MNP) is the process of transferring (porting) your mobile phone number from one mobile phone network provider (i.e. mobile operator) to another. You may want to do this if you wish to sign up to a new mobile phone provider (i.e. mobile operator) and keep your original mobile phone number, thus saving you the inconvenience of updating your contacts with your new telephone number. Mobile number porting is becoming increasingly popular worldwide due to the savings that can be made by switching mobile phone providers (i.e. mobile operator) in order to get a better mobile phone tariff.
Some facts about MNP :
• Date of Implementation in INDIA : 20th January 2011
• Required time to port : 7 days
• Fees : INR 19 i.e. INR 10 fees for porting & INR 9 will be given as initial balance amount for pre-paid customers. (Free in-case of BSNL)
How to port mobile number?
• Buy a new SIM and fill Customer Enrollment Form (CEF) and Mobile Number Portability (MNP) form. Submit both the forms with other required documents to the retailer or at any outlet.
• To enjoy the benefits of the new network operator, simply send an SMS: Port XXXXXXXXXX (i.e. Current 10 digit Mobile Number) through the number to be ported out to the Toll Free Number 1900.
• A 8 digit code through SMS Unique Porting Code(UPC) would be generated through which the porting process would be initiated. The generated UPC is valid only for 15 days from the date of generation.
• You will immediately receive an SMS confirming port order. Later, you will receive another SMS confirming the date and time of porting. At the scheduled date and time replace your old SIM with your new SIM.
Terms & Conditions for porting a number :
• Your mobile connection must be active on the network of your existing service provider since more than 90 days.
• If you are currently a postpaid customer, then please ensue that you’ve paid all the dues as per your last bill.
• If you are currently a prepaid customer, then all your available balance with existing service provider will lapse after completion of the transfer.
• You’ll not be able to cancel your transfer request after completion of 24 hours from date of submission of MNP request.
Can existing service provider stop you from joining new network?
Yes, when we send the MNP transfer request on your behalf, your existing service can reject the request due to any of the below mentioned reasons:
• Any overdue bill with existing operator.
• Mismatch between UPC provided to operator and actual UPC generated for your number.
• Your number is in deactivated state.
• Your number is less than 90 days old with your existing operator.
• If there is any ownership change request pending with your existing operator.
• In case your number has special exit clause and the exit clause is not met by you. For example: Special bundle offer, special offers to vendors\business partners etc.
• If porting for your number is prohibited by the court of law.
What will happen to the balance in my account post transfer?
The available balance in your account with your existing service provider will lapse post transfer of your number, thus we recommend you to use all your balance before the day of transfer.
During mobile number portability data balance will transfer or not?
No. Data balance will not be transferred during or after the mobile number portability.
Can I go back to my original service provider after getting transferred?
As per the government guideline, In case you wish to move back to your previous service provider then you may submit a request for same after completion of 90 days on the network of your new service provider.
Can I get my request cancelled at any time before transfer?
You can place the request for cancellation of port-in request with operator within 24 hours from the time of placing the port-in request.
Can I get multiple numbers transferred at the same time?
Yes, you can get multiple numbers which are under your name transferred at the same time.
Toll Free Numbers (For India) :
Do you want to change your operator without changing your current mobile number then dial the following number to choose your new operator;
AirTel : 1800-1031111
IDEA : 1800-2700000
BSNL : 1800-1801503
Vodafone : 1800-1234567
Tata DoCoMo : 1800-2660000
Tata Indicom : 1800-2663366
Aircel : 9802098020